Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Today, it was gorgeous outside.

It was probably 65 degrees, maybe warmer. The sun was beating down on Bellingham. I think I even got a little bit of a tan at boot camp this morning.
The wind began to pick up a little this afternoon, but I hopped on my scooter and headed to campus for my fiction-writing class.  I was walking to the building that my classroom was in, when I passed my class sitting in a circle in the grass. That's how nice it was. My class decided to meet outside. I plopped in the grass with everyone and slowly a cloud, a very large cloud, began to cover the sun. It was still peeking out here and there, when suddenly, ominous, over everyone's voice, was the sound of thunder.
We were work-shopping stories, see, and someone was trying to talk, and the thunder interrupted them, like when you are at a party that serves root beer, and right in the middle of your sentence someone behind you drains the remainder of their can into their belly and then demonstrates its effects.

This kept happening, and by about the third time, we all had our coats on. Wishful thinkers, this group was, though. We kept sitting out there, letting the sky interrupt us. Finally, it started sprinkling, and we meandered inside to finish class, the thunder shooing us in the door, angrily.

Les texted me while we were in class. "Don't ride home txt me I will come get you thunder and lightning out right now"  ...aww what a sweetie :)

When class let out, I gave him a call, then walked down to where I parked my scooter. It had poured while we were in class, but it was only sprinkling bits here and there, now. The sun was shining again, bright as ever. When Les got to campus, I told him I could probably drive it in this weather and asked him if he'd follow me home and we'd drive careful. He obliged, and the ride wasn't actually that bad. Actually, as soon as I parked the darn thing it stopped sprinkling altogether and the sun started to burn the water off my helmet.

Gotta love Washington. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment