Friday, December 30, 2011

First things first: Holiday Crafts. Part 1.

In part one I am going to talk about  a wall hang I made for my brother and sister-in-law, and a play mat I made (with help from Mom) for my nephew. 
I got the ideas from blogs and stuff. Some of them were from Pinterest, which a friend showed me was a great place to get craft ideas. :)

 The playmat started out in parts like this. Mom hemmed the blue fabric for me, it was something she had laying around. The rectangles are colorful felt pieces bought in packages. The package came with a bunch of them for like $2, and I got 2 packages (cuz some of them were yucky colors like brown and black.)


I drew the numbers on the hopscotch and circles to make a fun design on the other side. Then my mom and I cut them out.

 I laid everything out, and made a smiley with some extra felt, then I began to glue!




Here's the fun design side:


And the hopscotch side:


He loves it!!


The next thing I made was a wall hang for my bro and sis in law. I got frames from the dollar store, scrapbook pages from the craft store, paint and ribbon from Walmart, curtain rod from Ross. I think altogether it cost me about $20. 



 Well one of my frames was broken, so first thing first I had to fix that:



(I first tried to glue right in between the two pieces so that the glue wouldn't show... but that didn't work. SO I used a squiggle to kind of stitch the pieces together with glue. If that makes sense...)





Trace a letter the right way on glass with a crayon.


Use the glass to cut out your scrapbook paper.



Paint the letter on the OTHER side of the glass. (I should have took pictures of this with a letter that does not look the same way backwards lol). This way the paint is inside the frame, and not exposed. It makes it look more polished, I think.




Once you are done, put it all together!!


Next you have to add the ribbons. (Unless you want to just hang them on the wall without ribbons.)

Cut a bunch of ribbons the same length, then hot glue the ends of each one together.


Then hot glue the ends all the same distance from the top of the frame. That way the pictures are all level along the top.


Hang them all on the curtain rod, and you're done!! This looked much better in person. Sorry I didn't get a prettier picture of it. I was on a time crunch and had to get stuff done! :)



1 comment: